What is NEET Exam?


The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) is a highly competitive entrance examination in India for students seeking admission to undergraduate medical and dental courses. Here are the key details about the NEET exam:

  1. Purpose:

    • NEET is conducted for admission to MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery), BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery), and AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, and Homoeopathy) courses in medical and dental colleges across India.
  2. Conducting Body:

    • The National Testing Agency (NTA) is responsible for conducting NEET.
  3. Eligibility:

    • Nationality: Indian citizens, Overseas Citizens of India (OCI), Non-Resident Indians (NRI), Persons of Indian Origin (PIO), and foreign nationals are eligible.
    • Age: Candidates must be at least 17 years old at the time of admission or will complete that age on or before December 31 of the year of admission. The upper age limit for NEET is 25 years for general category candidates and 30 years for reserved category candidates.
    • Educational Qualification: Candidates must have completed or be appearing in the 12th grade (10+2) with Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Biotechnology, and English as their core subjects. They must have obtained a minimum of 50% marks (for general category), 45% marks (for PWD candidates), and 40% marks (for SC/ST/OBC candidates) in the qualifying examination.
  4. Exam Pattern:

    • Mode of Examination: NEET is conducted in a pen-and-paper format (offline).
    • Duration: The exam duration is 3 hours and 20 minutes.
    • Number of Questions: The exam consists of 200 multiple-choice questions (MCQs), with candidates required to answer 180 questions.
    • Subjects: The questions are divided among Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (Botany and Zoology).
      • Physics: 45 questions
      • Chemistry: 45 questions
      • Biology: 90 questions (45 questions from Botany and 45 questions from Zoology)
    • Marking Scheme: Each correct answer is awarded 4 marks, while 1 mark is deducted for each incorrect answer.
  5. Syllabus:

    • The syllabus for NEET is based on the NCERT curriculum for Classes 11 and 12, covering topics in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
  6. Application Process:

    • Candidates need to fill out an online application form available on the NTA's official website.
    • The application process includes uploading scanned images of photographs and signatures, paying the examination fee, and submitting the form within the stipulated deadline.
  7. Admit Card:

    • The admit card for NEET is released online by the NTA, and candidates must download and print it for entry to the examination center.
  8. Results and Counseling:

    • The results are announced online, and candidates can check their scores and All India Rank (AIR) on the NTA's official website.
    • Based on the results, the Medical Counseling Committee (MCC) conducts centralized counseling for 15% All India Quota seats, while state counseling authorities handle the remaining 85% of state quota seats.
  9. Reservations:

    • NEET follows the reservation policy of India, providing reserved seats for SC, ST, OBC, EWS, and PWD categories as per government norms.

NEET is a crucial examination for students aspiring to pursue a career in medicine and dentistry in India, and it requires thorough preparation and a strong understanding of the subjects covered.


Share this story